Wednesday 19 June 2019

Pause-reflect - leadership TAI LCS NOTES only

Analyse recording of staff meeting for what I have managed well and areas to improve:



Before we presented, we shared this with two other staff members. One went through it on her own at home the other went through it with us and teased things out, questioning points, phrasing and wording of certain elements and how we would deal with certain reactions from staff.

Both critiquers noted that our original presentation was too long - you can see we now have a part two inserted. Both also felt like our point lacked clarity. This led to changing the title of the presentation after orally reworking it with the second critiquer.

By the time we were presenting, we had developed a clear understanding that we would set this up to finish wherever we got to by 4.15pm regardless. We were able to stop at any point up to Part two without compromising learning for staff.

Analysing voice file for examples of my good and bad practice as a leader and presenter

The recording was made as audio only to simplify the technology at the time:
(link here) 54 minutes long, Katie Tozer and I presenting.
What I wanted to achieve:
A shared understanding that we must craft our language to reflect our desired outcome; LCS.
A reflection from all staff involved in their own use of language
Connections made between how language has been used to fool the user and the power of it.
Willingness to collaborate on learning between colleagues
A concrete interpretation of LCS and creating a DLO along with fish hooks you might encounter.
Setting the scene to develop cultural responsiveness from language forwards.
Opening of possibilities for learning by seeing, hearing and sharing different points of views and ways of thinking.

Positives:
- I set a time limit of 4.15pm - reassuring staff that there was going to be a stopping point
- Explained a rough structure of what we were presenting and expecting regarding interactiveness.
- Voice appears clear in presenting.
- I paused with straight outta the south pacific slave trade! and tried to paraphrase...
- I believe I made each task the 'why' for each task pretty clear.
- Pulling staff back together seemed fairly successful
- Paraphrasing what one of the staff wrote on the Padlet to sum things up.

Negatives:
- Fumbles with the technology
- I pronounce AKO badly. I can do that stuff better.
- Stuttering when we got to the slides about language... I knew that I might offend and was ducking linguistically?
- Have to work on paraphrasing as I am often just restating what has been said.
- "Not a horribly long article" is definitely my kind of phrasing that I should work on! It is said from negative pretexts; "not a" and 'horribly'. How I phrase these things can be better.
- Inflexion of my voice - I often end with my voice moving lower.
- "give us some feedback I guess" so not professional. Annoyed that I said it like that.
- I don't hear myself feeling happiness in my voice when I hear it back. I am actually feeling really happy when I am presenting once I am into it.

I'm still in the Learn phase of my inquiry. I'm still gathering evidence and developing my hunch and hypothesis more fully. Although some of that is happening concurrently, which is preferable to me, as I would rather see this as a fluid process.

 Notes:

Stuff for me to look up and reflect upon for next steps:
Joan Dalton -"Develop the art of the inquiry"

In questioning to open up the language of possibilities; how do I pause to reflect and allow myself . and others time to paraphrase in their own heads what is it we want to develop a shared understanding of.
It  takes 3 - 5 seconds to process high-level thoughts

I want to develop my capability around this as a leader.

Book 4 page 13 - 32

6 types of paraphrasing.

All stuff that I want to process and use somehow in how I develop my leadership capabilities.

What my next steps are:
1) Get someone to monitor my classes during the day for feedback purposes
2) Get a range of people from a range of leadership scenarios to assess me against leadership dimension 4.
3) Work through the Joan Dalton stuff and identify how to use pause, paraphrase etc... (book 4)

Move forward based on this and my own analysis.


No comments:

Post a Comment